Thursday, July 26, 2012

Monkey Head Cake

After talking to my husband, I thought it might be fun to post pictures of the cakes I've made for the kids to give people ideas of things they can do for cakes. I'm always looking around for new ideas, so I'm sure there are other moms out there who probably find themselves in the same boat. So, here we go.

This first cake I made back in January for our son's first birthday. I looked around online, and found this idea of a monkey head. I made four round white cakes. I put one on top of the other to make the head. In the middle I put chocolate frosting...mostly because I love chocolate and my 1-year-old is still too young to choose his cake :).

Then, I put the other two cakes on top of each other with chocolate frosting in the middle, and cut out the ears.  I used what was left of the cake to make the baby's smash cake. Thankfully frosting is incredibly forgiving, because I sure didn't think the cake looked like much when I first started. Lastly, I froze the cake to make it easier to frost later.
I began with the banana cake. I figured it would be the easiest. So, I used the white Wilton frosting and colored it lemon yellow. I spread it over the whole banana with a spatula. Next, I used the chocolate Wilton flavored frosting and dotted both sides of the banana to finish it off.

After the banana was done, I set it aside and began with the monkey head. I took some white Wilton frosting and used the Wilton copper coloring to make the skin tone. I spread it with a spatula on the areas that I wanted to have flesh on the monkey.



Finally, I took the chocolate Wilton flavored frosting and made the hair with the Wilton tip #233.

Lastly, I wrote our son's name and "Happy Birthday" with one of the fine tipped Wilton tips using the same chocolate flavored Wilton frosting.


No comments: