Monday, February 10, 2014

Friends

Something that is truly important as a mom is to have a friend (or friends) you can laugh with, trust, and really lean on when you need help. Let’s be honest, every mom whose ever been a mom needs a break every now and then. Every mom needs someone they can call up and say, “Hey, I need some help.”

Being a mom can be very isolating and lonely, especially when you don’t have that friend you can call up and say, “Hey, I need a friend.” It can be a huge struggle for moms to get out on play dates, moms groups, Bible studies, etc…but I highly recommend doing something, even if it’s once a month. If you are not involved in a group, get on Facebook and see if anyone is interested. You’d be surprised at how many lonely moms there are out there that may not have the courage to reach out and start something!

I actually did this a few months ago. I was feeling lonely, uninvolved, and wanted a friend. I looked around for a MOPS group and the closest one to me had a waiting list, and the other two in town were closing down. MOPS is a great way to meet friends and be encouraged, this is why I wanted to join a group, but it didn’t help me to be on a waiting list. I didn’t want to get involved in a Bible Study, because I’m kind of anti-homework right now.

Don’t get me wrong, Bible Studies are great for some women! I just happen to be in a place in my life where it seems a bit overwhelming and cumbersome to me to have to read a chapter in a book and endlessly bounce around my Bible so I can fill in the blanks for the next week. Honestly, I’m not trying to knock Bible Studies, and I know I will probably get some heated feedback from die-hard Bible Study people. I’m more speaking to the moms out there who may find joining a Bible Study a little too much right now.

So, not because of my lack of trying, I decided to appeal to my Facebook friends. I figured (as I usually do) that if I was lonely, maybe there was another lonely mom out there who would join me in starting a play group. I posted something simple like: “Anyone out there want to join a new play date group? If so, what day of the week works best for you?”  Sure enough, three moms responded. Since we started, only one mom has joined me in our Tuesday morning play groups. It’s small, but, I have my friend! I accomplished my mission! Yay for social media!
Sanctus Real sings a song that talks about the need for friendship. We were created with a unique need for relationship. Yes, we most definitely need God, but we also need each other. Here are some of the lyrics to their song, “We Need Each Other”:

Oh, oh, we need each other so what’s the fighting for
Oh, oh, we need each other, please don’t close the door
Oh, oh, we need each other through all the highs and lows
Oh, oh, we need each other and I don't wanna be alone
I need you, you need me
'Cause that’s the way it’s meant to be
I need you, we need each other
I don’t want to be alone


So, if you are a mom and you are feeling isolated and lonely, and you are not already involved in a mom’s group, play group, or Bible Study, I highly encourage you to find one or start your own. We were created to be in relationship with one another, so step out of your comfort zone and make a friend!

No comments: