Monday, October 24, 2011

Body Image

I got to thinking this morning of how different we as women see ourselves, specifically our bodies, than other people. Under all the layers of clothes, we are able to see our bodily imperfections, and it can make one feel quite depressed. So, if you're a guy, you probably should stop reading. If you're a mom, come laugh with me at the thoughts I've had about myself...as I'm sure you've had similar thoughts about your own body or things you do...if not, oh well, maybe I'm just the weird one!

Is that left-over makeup from yesterday or bags under my eyes?

No time for a shower today...here comes the body spray!

When was the last time I shaved?

"Do your boobs hang low? Do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot? Can you tie them in a bow? Can you throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier? Do your boobs hang low?"

How about that left-over baby pooch of a belly? Ach...that's probably always going to be there. Thankfully I have a couple of shirts that can hide that so I don't have to walk around sucking in my stomach all day.

Hips. Oh yeah. Hips. Those pants will NEVER fit again, because unfortunately, my hips will never go back to post-baby size.

How do these shoes not fit my feet anymore?

Wow, I really need to shave my knees a little...a LOT better! There are some hairs that could pass for head hair!

How did this string of snot get on my clothes? Oh yeah...all the kids have colds.

My boobs are looking like they're hanging much closer to my bellybutton than my shoulders these days...

How did this Fruit Loop get on the couch? Huh, doesn't smell bad...(so I eat it)

Wow...my toe hairs are LONG! When was the last time I shaved those?!?

I really should start exercising, those rolls on my sides are starting to droop over my pants!

Oops. These pants are getting tight, I should probably slow down on the chocolate!

And the list goes on and on and on. Yes, I wanted to share those with you because I know it's something we as women struggle with on a daily basis. It's fun to laugh at ourselves, it seems to help. I have also found that encouraging each other helps most of all. Encouraging each other to look beyond our appearance, to look deeper and know that God sees something greater than a flabby belly, saggy boobs, and squishy butt. He sees our hearts. He knows our deepest thoughts and desires and He cares about us.

1st Peter 3:3-4 says:
Don't be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God.

No comments: