Thursday, October 20, 2011

Idiot

Have you ever had one of those moments where you do something and realize later that it's not what you meant to do and then feel like a complete idiot? I seem to have those moments a lot...but yesterday was pretty embarrassing.

I've been going to the Wednesday morning Bible Study at our church for a little over a month now, and there's this girl who just moved to the area who has talked about how much she is wanting to make some friends. Her story kind of sounds like mine...the whole picking up the family and moving across the country and not knowing anyone part. So, yesterday I thought I'd email her and see if she was going to go to what's called "Group Link" at our church on Sunday. It's where new people can come and meet friends and hopefully create a small group.

I was thinking that maybe I just needed to take the first step and reach out to her. Of course, I get about half-way through two sentences in the email and completely chicken out.

Later that evening I was taking my son to his baseball practice and thought I should check my email. I realize that I don't see that unfinished email anywhere. I get a very sinking feeling and decide to look in the sent mail. Of course, in my haste, I had sent it when I had actually meant to delete it. Great.

So, all these feelings are running through my head. I'm such an idiot. How could I have done that? What was I thinking? Come on!?! Now she's going to think I'm some crazy stalker. Great, I have to face her every Wednesday at Bible Study for the whole year! What and IDIOT!

My husband gets home and I shamefully tell him what had happened that day. I even read him the email:

Hi Natalie,

This is Jennie from Bible Study. I wanted to ask you today if you guys are going to go to the Group Link

Sent from my iPhone

That's all it was. He asked me if I had written her back. No, I hadn't had time to try to rectify my stupidity. So, I did. I still haven't heard back from her.

I'm sure it will all be fine. I'm sure it won't be the last time something like that happens. It's just one of the thousands of embarrassing moments in the life of Jennie Denney.

No comments: