Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Joyous Bedtime

I so wish bedtime would be a fun and relaxing time for the family. I have this picture perfect evening in my head:

After a wonderful dinner of no complaining, fighting, or teasing, the kids calmly and quietly head up to their rooms. They brush their teeth, get into their pj's, and get into their beds. I hear musical voices saying, "mother-dearest, will you please come and tuck me into bed. I'm tired and worn out and am so thankful for everything you do. I would like to give you a hug and a kiss and would like you to pray for me tonight."

I walk upstairs to three happy children (only 3, because the baby has been asleep for over a half hour of course) tucked snugly in their beds. I take a few minutes with each of them by rubbing their backs and praying for them. I kiss them good night and give them a hug and walk downstairs where my husband awaits on the couch with a smile on his face.

Now wouldn't that be a wonderful evening? I sigh just thinking about it.

Unfortunately, if you can think of the complete opposite of that wonderfully amazing scenario, that seems to be pretty typical of what the Denney bed-time routine is. Oh what a nightmare. I absolutely dread bed-time.

Someday I'll look back and laugh...to be honest with you, I laugh at myself a lot now. I'm pretty sure that is probably one of the ways I am able to survive motherhood...that and A LOT of praying!

No comments: