Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Bumble Bee Cake

I made a bumble bee cake for my daughter's 1st birthday. After looking around on the internet for ideas, This is what I came up with:

I found a Wilton butterfly cake mold and made the cake using a vanilla cake mix. Next, I took packaged sugar cookie dough and made cookies for the face and for the feet. I took a heart shaped cookie mold and cut the cookie with it. Then, I cut the heart in half creating the feet then I baked the cookies.

After I froze the cake overnight, I colored the Wilton frosting with golden yellow, black, blue, and green. Next, I used a spatula to frost the sides of the cake blue and the top of the cake with just the plain white Wilton frosting. I placed one sugar cookie on the upper side of the cake to make the face and then frosted it with the golden yellow frosting.

Next, I added the layers of black and golden yellow. For the feet, I broke a sugar cookie in half, trying to create feet and frosted them black. For the antennae, I took 2 marshmallows, colored the tops black, then attached them to the cake with 2 birthday candles.

Finally, I took the green frosting and outlined the bottom of the cake to give it a more finished look.


As for the bumble bee sugar molds, I found them at a local cake store. 


No comments: