Sunday, July 29, 2012

John 12:27

While reading John 12 this morning I was struck by verse 27. After Palm Sunday, Jesus was hanging out with His disciples talking about His coming death. John 12:27 gives us some raw insight into what was going on in the mind of Jesus:

"Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, 'Father, save me from this hour'? But this is the very reason I came! Father; bring glory to your name."


You see, Jesus knew why He came to this earth. He knew His purpose, and that was to suffer the most gruesome and humiliating death in history in order to conquer not only death, but to clear a path for sinners to have a relationship with God; by taking the sins of the world and allowing God to place them on His shoulders. Whew! What a purpose! What a marvelous, risky and sacrificial purpose!

You see, Jesus was "deeply troubled". He knew that He was going to be betrayed, humiliated, flogged, nailed to a cross, and murdered. I wonder if it wasn't so much that He knew He was going to go through all of this pain and torture, but more that people would still refuse to believe Him.

Seeing Jesus's response to His inner turmoil gives me perspective on how I need to live my life. After sharing His struggles, He says, "Father; bring glory to Your Name." What an attitude to imitate when I'm going through my day-to-day hardships and struggles! May my attitude be like Christ. When I struggle or am going through hardships, may my thoughts be, "Father; bring glory to Your Name." When I'm hurt or angry, may my cry be, "Father; bring glory to Your Name." When I'm happy and when things seem to be going my way, may my heart sing and rejoice, "Father; bring glory to Your Name!"

"Now my soul is deeply troubled. Should I pray, 'Father, save me from this hour'? But this is the very reason I came! Father; bring glory to your name." John 12:27


No comments: